- Designed to grind soft metal substrates like aluminum, brass and bronze as well as carbon steel and mild steel
- 3M Precision-Shaped Grain cuts exceptionally fast for grinding and finishing on a range of metals
- Integrated dry lubricant reduces loading when grinding soft metals
- Strong mineral adhesion for reduced shelling when grinding on the edge of the belt
- Tough, Y-weight polyester cloth backing holds up to finishing and aggressive grinding
- Water-resistant polyester material can be used with liquid coolants to reduce grinding temperatures
- Durable resin bonding resists deterioration from heat, extending the life of the abrasive cloth
- Excellent alternative to aluminum oxide or alumina zirconia belts
Solving the Challenges of Soft Metals
3M™ Cubitron™ II Cloth Belt 981F is designed to solve three common
problems associated with grinding and finishing aluminum and other soft
metals: abrasive loading, edge-shelling and operator fatigue.
To help reduce loading when working with aluminum, bronze and brass, a
dry lubricant is integrated into the abrasive and allows the abrasive
grain to be relatively free from metal coating them, allowing the
cutting surface of the mineral to remain effective. The waterproof
backing also enables the user to rinse areas of the workpiece and the
cloth during use, in case the abrasive begins to clog.
To help prevent edge-shelling, our 3M™ Cubitron™ II Cloth Belt 981F
features a durable, Y-weight polyester cloth backing that stands up to
the stresses of working on gates, parting lines and flashing in tight
spaces. Plus, unlike other cloth grinding belts, ours features a
proprietary resin system to improve mineral adhesion, further reducing
the chances of shelling.
Worker fatigue can be a concern when grinding softer substrates. 3M™
Cubitron™ II Cloth Belt 981F grinds efficiently, and 3M Precision-Shaped
Grain can allow the operator to cut with less pressure, which may help
to reduce physical exertion on an operator.
About 3M Precision-Shaped Grain
3M Precision-Shaped Grain is the advanced technology behind our 3M™
Cubitron II™ products. Its sharp, triangular structures continually
fracture into sharp points and edges that slice cleanly through the
substrate, rather than gouging or plowing as traditional abrasives do.
This creates a fast cut and minimizes heat build-up in the workpiece,
reducing heat-related defects. Moreover, because the abrasive itself
stays cooler and sharper, it lasts significantly longer than
conventional abrasive belts, decreasing the number of belt changeovers
to lower operational costs. Its closed coat construction features a
dense spread of abrasive grains across the surface of the cloth, cutting
fast and providing a consistent finish.
Applications and Machine Types
• Gate grinding
• Flashing removal
• Parting line removal
• Backstand grinders
• Stroke sanding
• Small bench grinders
• In-line sanders
• File belts